Select Page

Heritage signage

On Monday 3 September 2018 the Swellendam Heritage Association had two heritage information boards erected in the town.

One of these information boards is erected on the site of old lemmetjiesdorp (Lemmetjies Town) which area is still referred  to by this name. The inscription on the information board which is self explanatory reads as follows:

Lemmetjiesdorp

The area known as Lemmetjiesdorp was sold to one Dawid Lemmetjies in 1849. Upon Dawid Lemmetjies’ death in 1863 the plot of land passed on to his son, Arend Lemmetjies. Thirteen brown families lived on this land alongside the Glen stream.  In the 1970’s the Group Areas Act forced the Lemmetjies family descendents off their land.

This panel has been erected by The Swellendam Heritage Association as a dedication to the Lemmetjies family.

Lemmetjiesdorp

Die gebied bekend as Lemmetjiesdorp is in 1849 aan ene Dawid Lemmetjies verkoop. Met Dawid Lemmetjies se dood in 1863 is die stuk grond aan sy seun, Arend Lemmetjies, oorgedra. Dertien bruin gesinne het op die grond langs die Glenstroom gewoon. In die 1970’s het die Groepsgebiedewet die nageslag van die Lemmetjies-familie van hulle grond gedwing.

Hierdie paneel is opgerig deur die Swellendam Erfenisvereniging as erkenning aan die Lemmetjies-familie.

Lemmetjiesdorp Sign Erected 03. 09. 2018

The second information board was erected at the old Anglican Cemetery and is again dedicated to members of the Lemmetjies family who were the stone masons who built the lovely old stone wall around the cemetery. Again the inscription is self explanatory and reads as follows: 

THE ANGLICAN CEMETERY STONE WALL

This beautiful wall of dressed stone bonded with clay was built by one Arend Lemmetjies circa 1855 when the Anglican Church was built in Swellendam. Arend Lemmetjies was a sought after stone-mason in Swellendam in the 1800’s along with his builder father Dawid Lemmetjies.

This panel has been erected by The Swellendam Heritage Association as a dedication to the Lemmetjies family.

DIE ANGLIKAANSE BEGRAAFPLAAS-RINGMUUR

Die Anglikaanse Kerk is in 1855 in Swellendam gebou. Die Anglikaanse begraafplaas is ongeveer dieselfde tyd geopen. Die pragtige klipmuur, wat met klei gebind is, is deur ene Arend Lemmetjies gebou. Hy en sy vader, Dawid Lemmetjies, was in daardie tyd gesogte klipkappers en bouers in Swellendam.

Hierdie paneel is opgerig deur die Swellendam Erfenisvereniging as erkenning aan die Lemmetjies-familie.